Thursday, April 21, 2005

Grandma's 80!

My grandma will be 80 next week. My dad and I have come to the conclusion, aided by some digging, that gran has never, ever in her 80 years had a birthday party. *Lightbulb on* So on Sunday, we are throwing a surprise party for my grandma. We have invited all the family we could think of, all the church friends, etc... We, as in my mom and me, are making all the food (I have already told you how we over do things . . . ). We expect about 100 people. Grandma's pastor is going to tell her congregation to join him for a "light lunch" at the fellowship hall. Then we will surprise, her by singing Happy Birthday. We can't yell surprise, the ole bat might have a heart attack! Let me tell you about my grandma. She doesn't look 80 (her birthday cake will say 'Happy 35th Birthday' on it). She has always been there for me. She took me in for a year when I was a wayward teen. She came to every significant event in my childhood and young adulthood. She selflessly gave to me when she really shouldn't. She's my grandma and I love her. Grandma took me to the beach, took me camping, to horse shows, to fairs, to rodeos, fishing, shopping, and even shooting. Grandma taught me to cook, taught me to bake, taught me to swim (with my mom of course). She taught me that sharing even special days was important. On my birthday she always baked a "companion cake" for my sister and gave her a small gift so she wouldn't feel left out on my special day. I couldn't imagine life without Grandma. Now, I am realistic. I know that there will come a time when I have to go on without her, but not right now. So, we are giving her a special day, one 80 years in the making. I hope she is as happy with it as we are in the planning. If you think of it, raise a toast to my Grandma, may she live longer and healthier still. She is much loved.


Proud Member of the Alliance

The Alliance
Blogwise - blog directory Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory
Blogwarriors v. Sortapundit
Technorati search